AEDC Plc being a dynamic organization, is looking at growing potential within the Company. To this effect, the Company is currently seeking experienced professionals to join it as Assistant Manager Legal Services: This person will work on Investigations, Advisory, Dispute Resolutions,Legal Documentation and Compliance.
MAJOR ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ability to initiate and complete any of the team member assignments.
- Leads one or more of the teams in Legal Services.
- Leads negotiations and meetings with internal and external departments.
- Drives performance of unit KPIs and SLAs.
- Ensures quality assurance of deliverables.
- Keeps expenses within budget limits.
- Submits weekly and monthly reports to General Manager Legal Services.
- Backs up for General Manager Legal Services. Train subordinates.
To assist with:
Litigation & Arbitration
- Efficient case management for civil and criminal cases excluding cases of electricity theft and vandalism.
- Managing and tracking expenditure under the litigation budget.
- Managing, monitoring and reduction in litigation spend.
- Prequalification and supervision of external counsel and debt collectors.
- Engagement & Dis-engagement of External Counsel and debt collectors.
- Reduction in number of litigations by promoting out of court settlements through the use of ADR to efficiently resolve disputes where beneficial to the company.
- Evaluating the merits of cases filed against or on behalf of the company and facilitating meetings with external counsel to agree AEDC strategy.
- Reviewing of court processes prior to filing.
- Compilation, assignment and monitoring of civil cases for prosecution and defence on behalf of the company.
- Facilitating the appearance of witnesses during court hearings and preparing witnesses for court hearings.
- Maintenance of comprehensive filing (electronic and hard copies) of all processes and correspondence and updating electronic database.
- Engaging with the insurance broker(s) to promote beneficial settlements for incidents.
- Attendance at court and arbitration hearings.
- Coordinating settlement meetings.
- Biannual & annual performance ranking of external counsel.
- Working with appropriate directorates and convening meetings with external counsel in order to determine the best redress or response strategy to disputes.
- Apply ADR and other dispute resolution techniques to resolve complaints initiated by law firms in favor of the company.
- Preventing complaints from degenerating to litigation.
- Participating in incident investigations to provide a legal perspective and ensure comprehensive report writing.
- Participating in staff investigations and providing a legal perspective.
- Ensuring appropriate documentation, record and current status of incidents and disputes in electronic databases.
- Engaging with the insurance broker(s) to promote beneficial settlements.
- Engaging with security agencies to develop a strategy for the arrest of offenders in conjunction with the Security Unit.
- Monitoring the repayment of debts assigned to debt collectors.
- Follows up on correspondence and liaise with Commercial Services on the repayment of MDA debts Advisory & Compliance.
- Participating in staff investigation panels and providing a legal perspective.
- Providing notification of new laws and regulations and their impact on the company.
- Providing timely and practical legal opinions.
- Ensuring savings for the company by ensuring AEDC is not subject to unlawful taxes and levies.
- Developing compliance database on the legislation and regulations that impact on AEDC’s business.
- Notifying relevant departments of their compliance obligations ahead of deadlines.
- Monitoring corporate compliance with legislation and regulations.
- Pursues and promotes the enactment of legislation favourable to AEDC.
- Keeping track of pending bills within the legislature in order to contest bills adverse to the interests of the company.
- Populating and updating relevant Legislation and NERC Regulations on the company intranet.
Contracts & Documentation
- Engagement with Procurement and user departments to ascertain the company needs.
- Ensures that contract amendments / reviews are gathered and acted as appropriate.
- Preparation of comprehensive standard templates for efficient roll out of agreements.
- Review of non-standard templates to ensure protection of company interests.
- Conducting searches at CAC on counterparties.
- Negotiation of contract terms in favour of the company.
- Participation in Tender Committee meetings.
- Development and maintenance of contract database.
- Notification of user departments two months prior to contract expiry.
- Circulation of contract obligation to contract manager.
- Proper filling of contracts and originating documents.
- Creates and maintains soft copies of all agreements.
- Creates and maintains documentation registry.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE &TECHNICAL SKILLS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law LLB, Barrister at Law (BL).
- Minimum of 7 years post call.
- Membership of NBA and a Post graduate qualification will be an added advantage.
- Tenacity to manage a large work load.
- Broad knowledge of Company and Commercial Law.
- Excellent written, oral communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and discretion.
- Awareness of the sensitivity and confidentiality involved in the function.
- IT proficient.
OTHER REQUIRED COMPETENCIES
- Resilient and able to deliver under pressure.
- Takes full ownership and demonstrates focused determination to complete work on time.
- Ability to work within a team with minimal supervision.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION:
Kindly click on the link below to apply:
Assistant Manager Legal Services
The closing date is 27th of November, 2019 at 5:00 pm GMT. All applications should include curriculum vitae and a cover letter. The subject of your application should be position applied for. Failure to follow the instructions will lead to disqualification of your application.
The cover letter should be addressed to:
Abuja Electricity Distribution Company Plc,
1 Ziquinchor Street, Off IBB Way
Wuse Zone 4,
Attention: The Director, Corporate Services.