AEDC PRIVACY NOTICE
Abuja Electricity Distribution PLC (AEDC) is committed to fully complying with the provisions of the Nigeria Data Protection Regulation, 2019 and protecting your personal information and privacy. This Privacy Notice outlines the type of information we collect about you, what we will use it for and your data privacy rights while interacting with Abuja Electricity Distribution PLC (AEDC).
1.Types of data we collect about you
a. Information that you give us
We collect data that you voluntarily provide to us when expressing an interest in obtaining information about us or our products and services, when participating in activities on our website (such as signing up for a prepaid meter) or during Customer Enumeration Exercise.
The data we collect depends on the context of your interaction with us or our website, the choices you make and the products and features you use. Important details of the data we collect are:
- Your first and last name, email address, postal address, phone number, and other similar contact data.
- We do not collect payment data, as we do not process your payment. When you make purchases of electricity tokens, your payment details (such as debit card number, etc.) are handled by banks/payment processors.
2. Why and how we use your data
We need a valid reason to collect and use your data. It is called the “lawful basis for processing”. AEDC may use your data under the following circumstances:
- When we have your consent. However, you may withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us via the details provided below.
- When we have a contractual obligation.
- When we have a legal obligation.
- When we have a vital interest.
- When we need it to perform a public task?
- When we have a legitimate interest.
We may use your information for any of the activities listed below:
- to deliver our services and to provide you with information about them
- to deal with your requests, complaints and enquiries
- to help us understand what kind of services you might use
- to research and innovate
3. How we protect your data
We are strongly committed to keeping you and your family’s information safe. And to achieve this, we design our services with your safety in mind. We also have dedicated teams to look after data security and privacy.
4. Where we store your information
We store your data on electronic mediums on our premises. However, some companies that provide services to us run their services from outside Nigeria. We only let that happen if we are satisfied with their levels of security. Keep in mind that when you give us data, it could be transferred, stored or processed in a location outside Nigeria.
5. How long do we keep your data
We will only keep your data for as long as it is necessary for the purposes set out in this notice, unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law (such as tax, accounting or other legal requirements). No purpose will require us to keep your data for longer than 30 days after the termination of your account with us.
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your data, we will either permanently delete or anonymize it, or, if this is not possible (for example, because your data has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your data and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
6. Data Sharing
We may process or share data based on the following legal basis:
- Consent: We may process your data if you have given us specific consent to use your data in a specific purpose.
- Legal Obligations: We may disclose your information where we are legally required to do so in order to comply with applicable law, governmental requests, or legal processes such as in response to a court order (including in response to public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements).
- Vital Interests: We may disclose your information where we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding potential violations of our policies, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person and illegal activities, or as evidence in litigation in which we are involved.
More specifically, we may need to process your data or share your data in the following situations:
- Vendors, Contractors and Other Third-Party Service Providers: We may share your data with third-party vendors, service providers, contractors or agents who perform services for us or on our behalf and require access to such information to do that work. Examples include: payment processing, data analysis, email delivery, hosting services, and marketing efforts.
- Business Transfers: We may share or transfer your information in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company.
Please note that we do not share, sell, rent or trade any of your information with third parties for their promotional purposes.
7. Your data protection rights
In Nigeria, you have certain rights under the Nigerian Data Protection Regulation. These may include the right;
- to request access and obtain a copy of your data,
- to request rectification or erasure;
- to restrict the processing of your data; and
- if applicable, to data portability. In certain circumstances, you may also have the right to object to the processing of your data. To make such a request, please use the contact details provided below. We will consider and act upon any request in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
If you would at any time like to review or change the information in your account or terminate your account, you can:
- Contact our Call Centre on 08039070070
- Or send a mail to the DPO via the email provided below
8. Changes to this notice
We will update this notice whenever there is a need to. When we make important changes, like how we use your data, we will let you know. It might be a notice or an email.
If you do not agree to the changes, then you can always stop using our services, delete your account and stop giving us any more data.
If you have questions or comments about your data, you may contact our Data Protection Unit, via email: email@example.com or by post to:
Abuja Electricity Distribution Company
No.1 Ziguinchor Street, Off IBB Way, Wuse Zone 4, Abuja-FCT
Abuja, F.C.T 900281