- 1: What does NMMP mean?It means National Mass Metering Programme. It is a metering programme setup by the Federal Government of Nigeria to provide prepaid meters for customers to ease the burden of meter acquisition.
- 2: What are the phases in the National Mass Metering Programme (NMMP)? The National Mass Metering Programme (NMMP) is divided into two phases.
Phase 0: Has already commenced and will run until all meters from the Meter Asset Providers (MAP) have been exhausted
Phase 1: Will commence immediately after Phase 0 has ended and this phase requires CBN funded bulk procurement from local meter manufacturers/assemblers. This phase might commence towards the end of 2021.
- 3: When will the National Mass Metering Programme (NMMP) commence?The National Mass Metering Programme (NMMP) commenced on November 2nd 2020 in all franchised areas (FCT, Nasarawa, Niger and Kogi) in AEDC with Phase 0 which prioritizes the metering of customers on Service Reflective Tariff Band A.
- 4: What will happen to customers who want meters but are on Service Reflective Tariff Band B, C, D and E?All customers will be metered under the National Mass Metering Programme (NMMP). Please be patient as we assure you that your property will be metered in earnest.
- 5: Why has the Nigerian government introduced the National Mass Metering Programme (NMMP)?The Nigerian government has introduced the National Mass Metering Programme (NMMP) to ensure the speedy closure of the identified metering gap in the Nigeria Electricity Supply Industry (NESI)
- 6: What happens to those who have bought or made payment for prepaid meter?According to the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC), customers who have made payment for prepaid meter(s) will have the cost of the meter refunded via energy units over a period not exceeding 5 years.
- 7: What is my fate as a customer that has subscribed for a prepaid meter via the Meter Service Charge (MSC) plan? Will I still be charged my monthly deduction or will my meter be converted to the mass metering meter?Your monthly deductions in accordance to your selected plan will still apply as the meter cost upon full payment of the meter, will be refunded via energy units over a period not exceeding 5 years.
- 8: How do I apply for a meter under the Phase 0 of the National Mass Metering Programme (NMMP)? An installation notification will be sent to you prior to meter installation. Please note that the deployment of the NMMP meters is in phases which commences with customers on Service Reflective Tariff Band A
- 9: Will the National Mass Metering Programme (NMMP) clear all my outstanding electricity debt?No. The National Mass Metering Programme (NMMP) does not provide such benefits hence customers who have debts are expected to go to their respective area offices and have a discussion with the debt personnel on the repayment plan and this plan will be implemented on your account upon meter installation.
- 10: What are the objectives of this exercise?Some of the objectives are as follows:
• Increase Nigeria’s metering rate
• Elimination of arbitrary estimated billing
• Reduction of collection losses